Miscellaneous powers of the Department in relation to historic monuments
Expenditure by Department on removal or preservation of historic monuments
23. (1) The Department may undertake, or assist in, or defray or contribute towards the cost of, the removal of any historic monument or of any part of any such monument to another place for the purpose of preserving it.
(2) The Department may at the request of the owner of an historic monument undertake, or assist in, or defray or contribute towards the cost of, the preservation, maintenance and management of the monument.
(3) No expenses shall be incurred by the Department under this Article in connection with any monument which is occupied as a dwelling house by any person other than a person employed as the caretaker thereof or his family.
Expenditure by Department on archaeological investigation
24. (1) The Department may undertake, or assist in, or defray or contribute towards the cost of, an archaeological investigation of any land on, in or under which there is, or is reasonably believed to be, an historic monument or anything else of archaeological or historical interest.
(2) The Department may, by agreement, take on lease any land for the purpose of carrying out an archaeological investigation of the land.
(3) The Department may publish the results of any archaeological investigation undertaken, assisted, or wholly or partly financed by it under this Article in such manner and form as it thinks fit.
Advice and superintendence by the Department
25. (1) The Department may give advice with reference to the treatment of any historic monument.
(2) The Department may superintend any work in connection with any historic monument if invited to do so by the owner, and shall superintend any such work, whether required to do so by the owner or not, in connection with any scheduled monument.
(3) The Department may make a charge for giving advice and superintendence under this Article or may give it free of charge, as it thinks fit.
Power to provide general advice, information, etc.
26. (1) The Department may—
(a)provide advice and disseminate knowledge about historic monuments and the protection and enhancement of historic monuments; and
(b)provide, or assist in the provision of, publicity, mapping and information services relating to historic monuments.
(2) The Department may make a charge for anything provided by it under this Article or may provide it free of charge, as it thinks fit.
Power to receive voluntary contributions
27. The Department may receive voluntary contributions towards the cost of any expenditure incurred by it under this Order (whether in relation to any particular monument or land or otherwise).
Power to dispose of land acquired under this Part
28. (1) Subject to the following provisions of this Article, the Department may, after consultation with the Historic Monuments Council, dispose of any land acquired by it under Article 13, 14 or 18.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), where the land in question is or includes a monument, the Department may only dispose of it on such terms as will in its opinion ensure the protection of the monument.
(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply in any case where the Department is satisfied that it is no longer practicable to protect the monument (whether because of the cost of protecting it or otherwise).