- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Industrial Relations (Northern Ireland) Order 1992. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
26.—(1) Subject to paragraph (3), any collective agreement (whether made before or after the coming into operation of this Article) shall be conclusively presumed not to have been intended by the parties to be a legally enforceable contract unless the agreement—
(a)is in writing; and
(b)contains a provision which (however expressed) states that the parties intended that the agreement shall be a legally enforceable contract.
(2) Any such agreement which satisfies the conditions in paragraph (1)(a) and (b) shall be conclusively presumed to have been intended by the parties to be a legally enforceable contract.
(3) If any such agreement is in writing and contains a provision which (however expressed) states that the parties intend that one or more parts of the agreement specified in that provision, but not the whole of the agreement, shall be a legally enforceable contract, then—
(a)the specified part or parts shall be conclusively presumed to have been intended by the parties to be a legally enforceable contract; and
(b)the remainder of the agreement shall be conclusively presumed not to have been intended by the parties to be such a contract, but a part of an agreement which by virtue of this sub-paragraph is not a legally enforceable contract may be referred to for the purpose of interpreting a part of that agreement which is such a contract.
(4) Notwithstanding anything in paragraphs (2) and (3), any terms of a collective agreement (whether made before or after the coming into operation of this Article) which prohibit or restrict the right of workers to engage in a strike or other industrial action, or have the effect of prohibiting or restricting that right, shall not form part of any contract between any worker and the person for whom he works unless the collective agreement—
(a)is in writing; and
(b)contains a provision expressly stating that those terms shall or may be incorporated in such a contract; and
(c)is reasonably accessible at his place of work to the worker to whom it applies and is available for him to consult during working hours; and
(d)is one where each trade union which is a party to the agreement is an independent trade union;
and unless the contract with that worker expressly or impliedly incorporates those terms in the contract.
(5) Paragraph (4) shall have effect notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any agreement (including a collective agreement or a contract with any worker).
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: