- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
3.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this Order, where in any action or proceedings in a court in Northern Ireland the law of any other country falls (in accordance with rules of private international law applicable by any such court) to be taken into account in the determination of any matter—
(a)the law of that other country relating to limitation shall apply in respect of that matter for the purposes of the action or proceedings; and
(b)except where that matter falls within paragraph (2), the law of Northern Ireland relating to limitation shall not so apply.
(2) A matter falls within this paragraph if it is a matter in the determination of which both the law of Northern Ireland and the law of some other country fall to be taken into account.
(3) The law of Northern Ireland shall determine for the purposes of any law applicable by virtue of paragraph (1)(a) whether, and the time at which, proceedings have been commenced in respect of any matter; and accordingly[F1 Article 73] of[F1 the Limitation (Northern Ireland) Order 1989] (new claims in pending proceedings) shall apply in relation to time limits applicable by virtue of paragraph (1)(a) as it applies in relation to time limits under[F1 the Limitation (Northern Ireland) Order 1989].
(4) A court in Northern Ireland, in exercising in pursuance of paragraph (1)(a) any discretion conferred by the law of any other country, shall so far as practicable exercise that discretion in the manner in which it is exercised in comparable cases by the courts of that other country.
(5) In this Article “law”, in relation to any country, shall not include rules of private international law applicable by the courts of that country, or in the case of Northern Ireland, this Order.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: