- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
16. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), an authorised officer of a council may enter any premises in the council's district if he has reason to suspect that an offence under Article 15 is being committed there.
(2) The power conferred by this Article may be exercised by an authorised officer of a council only if he has been granted a warrant by a justice of the peace.
(3) A justice may grant a warrant under this Article only if he is satisfied—
(a)that admission to any premises has been refused, or that refusal is apprehended, or that the case is one of urgency, or that an application for admission would defeat the object of the entry; and
(b)that there is reasonable ground for entry under this Article.
(4) A warrant shall not be granted unless the justice is satisfied either that notice of the intention to apply for a warrant has been given to the occupier, or that the case is one of urgency, or that the giving of such notice would defeat the object of the entry.
(5) A warrant shall continue in force—
(a)for seven days; or
(b)until the power conferred by this Article has been exercised in accordance with the warrant,
whichever period is the shorter.
(6) Where an authorised officer of a council exercises the power conferred by this Article, he shall produce his authority if required to do so by the occupier of the premises.
(7) Any person who without reasonable excuse refuses to permit an authorised officer of a council to exercise the power conferred by this Article shall be guilty of an offence and shall for every such refusal be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: