- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
5. (1) Where any person to whom paragraph (4) applies—
(a)declines to accept an offer of employment by the University; or
(b)within the period of 6 months from the appointed day relinquishes his employment by the University, on the grounds that—
(i)he is to suffer, or has suffered a diminution in pay; or
(ii)he is not to be employed, or has not been employed, on terms and conditions which are as nearly as practicable the same as those which governed his employment immediately before the appointed day;
he shall be entitled to compensation from the University on such terms and subject to such conditions as may be specified in regulations made by the Department.
(2) Without prejudice to anything in section 17 of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954, regulations made under paragraph (1)—
(a)may include provision as to the manner in which, the time within which and the person to whom, any claim for compensation is to be made; and
(b)shall be subject to negative resolution.
(3) Where any person to whom paragraph (4) applies enters into a contract of employment with the University, his employment by the University and his previous employment by The New University of Ulster or, as the case may be, by the Governors of the Ulster Polytechnic shall be deemed for all purposes of those bodies to be a single continuing employment.
(4) This paragraph applies to any person—
(a)who, immediately before the appointed day, was employed—
(i)by The New University of Ulster for purposes wholly or mainly connected with that University, or
(ii)by the Governors of the Ulster Polytechnic for purposes wholly or mainly connected with the Ulster Polytechnic; and
(b)who was not so employed on a temporary basis or on the basis of a fixed term contract which expired on or before the appointed day.
(5) If any question arises as to whether a person is, on either of the grounds mentioned in paragraph (1), justified in declining or relinquishing employment by the University, that person may require the question to be referred to and determined by an industrial tribunal.
(6) Where a question is referred to an industrial tribunal under paragraph (5), it shall be for the University to show that the grounds upon which the reference is founded do not exist.
(7) A person to whom paragraph (4) applies shall not be taken to have been dismissed from his employment by The New University of Ulster, or, as the case may be, the Governors of the Ulster Polytechnic by reason of redundancy.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: