- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
Clean Air (Northern Ireland) Order 1981, Dark smoke is up to date with all changes known to be in force on or before 27 October 2016. There are changes that may be brought into force at a future date. Changes that have been made appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
3.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Order, dark smoke shall not be emitted from a chimney of any building, and if, on any day, dark smoke is so emitted, the occupier of the building shall be guilty of an offence.
(2) Emissions of smoke from any chimney lasting for not longer than such periods as may be prescribed shall, in such classes of case and subject to such limitations as may be prescribed, be left out of account for the purposes of this Article.
(3) In any proceedings for an offence under this Article, it shall be a defence to prove—
(a)that the contravention complained of was solely due to the lighting up of a furnace which was cold and that all practicable steps had been taken to prevent or minimise the emission of dark smoke; or
(b)that the contravention complained of was solely due to some failure of a furnace or of apparatus used in connection with a furnace and that—
(i)that failure could not reasonably have been foreseen, or, if foreseen, could not reasonably have been provided against; and
(ii)the contravention could not reasonably have been prevented by action taken after the failure occurred; or
(c)that the contravention complained of was solely due to the use of unsuitable fuel and that—
(i)suitable fuel was unobtainable; and
(ii)the least unsuitable fuel which was available was used; and
(iii)all practicable steps had been taken to prevent or minimise the emission of dark smoke as a result of the use of that fuel; or
(d)that the contravention complained of was due to a combination of two or more of the causes specified in sub-paragraphs ( a) to ( c) and that the other conditions specified in those sub-paragraphs are satisfied in relation to those causes respectively.
(4) Subject to paragraph (5), this Article shall apply in relation to a chimney serving the furnace of any boiler or industrial plant (being a boiler or plant attached to a building or for the time being fixed to or installed on any land) as it applies in relation to a chimney of a building.
(5) In relation to any chimney of the kind referred to in paragraph (4) which is not a chimney of a building, the reference in this Article to the occupier of the building shall be construed as a reference to the person having possession of the boiler or plant.
4.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this Article, dark smoke shall not be emitted from any industrial or trade premises and if, on any day, dark smoke is so emitted the occupier of the premises shall be guilty of an offence.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the emission of dark smoke from a chimney of a building or from any other chimney to which Article 3 applies.
(3) The Department may by regulations exempt from paragraph (1), subject to compliance with such conditions, if any, as may be prescribed, the emission of dark smoke caused by the burning of any prescribed matter.
(4) In proceedings for an offence under this Article it shall be a defence to prove that the contravention complained of was inadvertent and that all practicable steps had been taken to prevent or minimise the emission of dark smoke.
(5) In this Article “industrial or trade premises” means premises used for any industrial or trade purposes or premises not so used on which matter is burnt in connection with any industrial or trade process.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: