- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to County Courts (Northern Ireland) Order 1980. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
10. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, a county court shall have jurisdiction to hear and determine any action in which the amount claimed, or the value of specific chattels claimed, does not exceed[F1 £15,000], including (but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions of this paragraph) any action in which a balance not exceeding[F1 £15,000] is claimed—
(a)on foot of an account (including a partnership account);
(b)after allowances made for any amount admitted by the plaintiff to be due by him to the defendant (whether by way of set-off or on foot of a counterclaim or otherwise); or
(c)after the abandonment by the plaintiff of any sum by which the amount alleged to be due to him by the defendant exceeds[F1 £15,000], so, however, that a decree in respect of any cause of action to which this sub-paragraph applies shall be, and be expressed to be, in full discharge of all demands in respect of that cause of action.
(2) A county court shall not have jurisdiction to hear any action claiming damages exceeding[F1 £3,000] in respect of libel or slander.
(3) A county court which is not a divorce county court shall not have jurisdiction to hear any cause or matter to which the Matrimonial Causes (Northern Ireland) Order 1978 [1978 NI 15] applies other than—
(a)an application made under Article 35, 38 or 40 of that Order which is required or, as the case may be, allowed by Article 35(4), 38(3) or 40(3) of that Order to be made to a county court;
(b)an application under section 17 of the Married Women's Property Act 1882 [1882 c.75] to which Article 55 of that Order applies; …
F2Sub‐para. (c) rep. by 1980 NI 5
[F3(3A) Except as provided by the Civil Partnership Act 2004, a county court which is not a civil partnership proceedings county court shall not have jurisdiction to hear any cause or matter to which that Act applies.]
(4) A county court shall not have jurisdiction to hear any Admiralty cause or matter.
(5) A county court shall not have jurisdiction to hear any action in which the title to any toll, fair, market or franchise is in question.
(6) A claim for the recovery of any rent or other sum not exceeding[F1 £15,000] due in respect of the use and occupation of any land may be joined with, and heard and determined together with, a claim under this Part for the recovery of that land.
Annotations are used to give authority for changes and other effects on the legislation you are viewing and to convey editorial information. They appear at the foot of the relevant provision or under the associated heading. Annotations are categorised by annotation type, such as F-notes for textual amendments and I-notes for commencement information (a full list can be found in the Editorial Practice Guide). Each annotation is identified by a sequential reference number. For F-notes, M-notes and X-notes, the number also appears in bold superscript at the relevant location in the text. All annotations contain links to the affecting legislation.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: