- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Administration of Estates (Northern Ireland) Order 1979. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
1. Section 29 of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 [1954 c.33] (effect of substituting provisions) shall have effect for the purposes of this Order as if all the enactments repealed by this Order were transferred provisions within the meaning of that Act.N.I.
2. All general directions given by the Probate Judge under section 20(2) of the Administration of Estates Act (Northern Ireland) 1955 [1955 c.24] and in force immediately before the commencement of Article 4(1) shall have effect as if they were contained in rules of court and may be varied or revoked accordingly.N.I.
3. The repeal by this Order of section 3 of the Northern Ireland (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1928 [1928 c.24] shall not affect the operation of subsection (2) of that section in relation to real estate of an intestate who died before 1st January 1938.N.I.
4. In relation to the estate of a person dying before 1st January 1938, Articles 12(1), 29(1) and 34 shall have effect with the substitution of “personal estate” for “estate”.N.I.
5. Article 19(2) shall apply to a grant made in a district probate registry before the commencement of paragraph 9 of Schedule 6 to the Judicature (Northern Ireland) Act 1978 [1978 c.23] as though the business of that registry were branch office business.N.I.
6. Article 22 applies in respect of land comprised or included in the estate of a person dying before 1st January 1956 notwithstanding that no office has been found and no commission issued or executed.N.I.
7. In Article 23(1) the first reference to the Probate and Matrimonial Office includes the Probate Registry, and for the purposes of Article 23(2) a district probate registry shall be deemed to have been a branch office of the Probate and Matrimonial Office.N.I.
8. In relation to the estate of a person dying before 1st January 1938, the references in paragraph (1)( a) and ( b) of Article 35 to the estate of the deceased shall be construed as references to so much of the estate as vested in the personal representative.N.I.
9. Any administration bond given before 1st January 1972 under section 86 of the Probates and Letters of Administration Act (Ireland) 1857 [1857 c.79] may be enforced and assigned as if the Administration of Estates Act (Northern Ireland) 1971 [1971 c.31] had not been passed.N.I.
10. Nothing in this Order affects—N.I.
(a)any unrepealed enactment authorising grants to be dispensed with in special cases;
(b)any duty payable to the Crown on or in connection with the death of any person; or
(c)any remedy for the recovery of any such duty.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
This timeline shows the different points in time where a change occurred. The dates will coincide with the earliest date on which the change (e.g an insertion, a repeal or a substitution) that was applied came into force. The first date in the timeline will usually be the earliest date when the provision came into force. In some cases the first date is 01/02/1991 (or for Northern Ireland legislation 01/01/2006). This date is our basedate. No versions before this date are available. For further information see the Editorial Practice Guide and Glossary under Help.