- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
4. (1) An application for compensation—
(a)shall be made in such manner as may be prescribed; and
(b)must be so made within three months from the date on which a notice is served on the Secretary of State under Article 3(2)( d)(ii) in relation to the application unless there was reasonable cause for not making the application within that period.
(2) Where the victim is an unborn child, paragraph (1) shall have effect with the substitution for the words from “three months” to “application” of the words “ six months from the date of birth of the child ”.
(3) Any such application may be made by any of the persons mentioned in Article 3(1) but so that—
(a)where the victim has died as a result of the criminal injury, the application may be made by the victim's spouse on behalf of both the applicant and of such children, if any, as are the victim's dependants;
(b)where there is no surviving spouse of a deceased victim or the victim or other person entitled to apply for compensation is, by reason of age or otherwise, incapable of making the application, it may be made by such person as may be prescribed.
(4) Where any such application is made to the Secretary of State in accordance with this Order, he shall determine the amount (if any) of compensation payable to the applicant.
(5) A determination under paragraph (4) shall specify the amount (if any) of compensation payable in respect of—
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: