- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Pharmacy (Northern Ireland) Order 1976. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
5. (1) The President and Vice-President of the Council shall respectively hold office for one year, but shall be eligible for re-election.N.I.
(2) In the case of any vacancy in the office of President or Vice-President caused by the holder of such office ceasing to be a member of the Council, or by his resignation of such office or incapacity to hold it, such vacancy shall be filled by the election of some member of the council elected from the persons specified in paragraph 1(1)( a) and ( b) to hold such office.
6. (1) The members of the Council who are representatives of the Queen's University of Belfast, of the medical committee and of the wholesale drug trade in Northern Ireland shall hold office for three years from the date of their nomination.N.I.
(2) On the expiration of the period of three years mentioned in sub-paragraph (1) and of each subsequent period of three years, the said University and committee shall respectively nominate, to represent them for a further period of three years, the same number of persons as is provided in Part I, and the Head of the Department shall nominate for such further period one person to represent the said wholesale drug trade.
(3) The member of the Council who holds office as representative of the registered druggists shall cease to hold such office on the first Monday of October in every year; and the place of that member shall be filled by election on that date.
(4) A member of the Council who holds office as a representative of the pharmaceutical chemists shall hold such office for a period of three years; and, on the first Monday in October in each year, each such member whose term of office has then expired shall retire from office and the place of the members so retiring shall be filled by election on that date.
7. Without prejudice to paragraphs 5(1) and 8(1), every member of the Council whose term of office has expired shall be eligible for re-nomination or, as the case may require, re-election.N.I.
8. (1) If any extraordinary vacancy occurs in the Council (except in the case of a member to whom paragraph 6(1) applies), the Council shall, on a day to be appointed by the President (not being later than the second ordinary meeting after the vacancy has been signified to the President) elect to fill the vacancy—N.I.
(a)a member, if the vacancy occurs amongst those persons who as members were elected as representatives of pharmaceutical chemists; or
(b)an associate, if the vacancy occurs in the office of druggists' representative;
and every person so elected shall continue as a member of the Council until the time when the person in whose place he was chosen would regularly have gone out of office, and he shall then go out of office, but shall be capable of immediate re-election.
(2) If any extraordinary vacancy occurs among the members of the Council to whom paragraph 6(1) applies, the said University or committee, or the Head of the Department, as the case may require, shall nominate another representative to fill the vacancy for the unexpired portion of the term of office of the member in whose place such representative is nominated.
9. Elections of members of the Council and of the President and Vice-President shall be held, and the voting and other proceedings in the case of a contest shall be conducted, in accordance with approved bye-laws made by the Council.N.I.
10. At a meeting of the Council, the President, or in his absence the Vice-President, shall act as chairman, and, if both the President and Vice-President are absent, one of the members of the Council present shall be elected chairman by the majority present.N.I.
11. At all meetings of the Council, the questions considered shall be decided by a majority, and, in the case of an equal division, the chairman shall, in addition to his own vote, have a casting vote.N.I.
12. The quorum for a meeting of the Council shall be seven.N.I.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: