- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
The term provision is used to describe a definable element in a piece of legislation that has legislative effect – such as a Part, Chapter or section. A version of a provision is prospective either:
Commencement Orders listed in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ box as not yet applied may bring this prospective version into force.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
9 (1) Where, under this Act, a complaint has been made or a remedial notice has been issued, a person authorised by the council may enter the neighbouring land in order to obtain information required by the council for the purpose of determining—
(a)whether this Act applies to the complaint;
(b)whether to issue or withdraw a remedial notice;
(c)whether to waive or relax a requirement of a remedial notice;
(d)whether a requirement of a remedial notice has been complied with.
(2) Where an appeal has been made under section 7, a member of, or person authorised by, the Valuation Tribunal may enter the neighbouring land in order to obtain information required for the purpose of determining the appeal.
(3) A person shall not enter land in the exercise of a power conferred by this section unless at least 24 hours' notice of the intended entry has been given to every occupier of the land.
(4) A person authorised under this section to enter land—
(a)shall, if so required, produce evidence of that person's authority before entering; and
(b)shall produce such evidence if required to do so at any time while that person remains on the land.
(5) A person who enters land in the exercise of a power conferred by this section may—
(a)be accompanied by such other persons as may be necessary;
(b)take onto the land equipment and materials needed in order to obtain the information required;
(c)take samples of any trees or shrubs that appear to that person to form part of a high hedge.
(6) If, in the exercise of a power conferred by this section, a person enters land which is unoccupied or from which all of the persons occupying the land are temporarily absent, that person must on departure leave the land as effectively secured against unauthorised entry as that person found it.
(7) A person who intentionally obstructs a person acting in the exercise of the powers under this section is guilty of an offence and liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: