Access to information relating to births and deaths
14. After Article 34 of the 1976 Order (searches of indexes and certified copies of entries) there shall be inserted the following Article—
“Access to information relating to births and deaths
34A.—(1) Regulations may make provision for any person to have access on payment of the prescribed fee to any information contained in the registers.
(2) Regulations under paragraph (1) may provide that the relevant period must have expired in relation to the information.
(3) In paragraph (2) “the relevant period” means—
(a)in relation to information relating to a birth, the period of 100 years from the date of the birth or such other period as may be prescribed;
(b)in relation to information relating to a death, the period of 50 years from the date of the death or such other period as may be prescribed.
(4) Regulations under paragraph (1) may provide for the Registrar General—
(a)to make arrangements with any person for the purpose of providing access to information as mentioned in that paragraph; and
(b)for that purpose to transfer information to that person subject to conditions (including conditions as to the making of payments by that person to the Registrar General).
(5) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any register of still-births.
(6) This Article is without prejudice to Article 38.”.