- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
The term provision is used to describe a definable element in a piece of legislation that has legislative effect – such as a Part, Chapter or section. A version of a provision is prospective either:
Commencement Orders listed in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ box as not yet applied may bring this prospective version into force.
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Civil Registration Act (Northern Ireland) 2011. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Act. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Act you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
9—(1) Article 21 of the 1976 Order (registration of deaths) shall be amended in accordance with subsections (2) to (5).
(2) In paragraph (1) (registration by registrar for district where person died or was ordinarily resident), for the words from “by the registrar for the district” to the words “in a register maintained by him for the purpose” there shall be substituted the words “ in a register by any registrar ”.
(3) In paragraphs (2) and (3) (cases where body found but no information as to place of death), for the words “in the district” there shall be substituted the words “ by the registrar for the district ”.
(4) In paragraph (5) (duty to give information and to sign register)—
(a)for the words “to the registrar” there shall be substituted the words “ to any registrar ”;
(b)for the words “to sign the register in the presence of the registrar” there shall be substituted the words “ of such other particulars as may be prescribed, in the prescribed manner ”.
(5) In paragraph (6) (effect of information being given and register signed), for the words “and signs the register” there shall be substituted the words “ in the prescribed manner ”.
(6) In Article 2(2) of the 1976 Order (interpretation), after the definition of “birth” there shall be inserted the following definition—
““death” means death in Northern Ireland;”.
10—(1) In Article 23 of the 1976 Order (issue of notice for information concerning deaths), paragraph (1) shall be amended in accordance with subsections (2) and (3).
(2) In sub-paragraph (b) (requirement to give certain information), after the word “give” there shall be inserted the words “ in the prescribed manner within such time as may be specified in the notice ”.
(3) The following provisions shall cease to have effect—
(a)sub-paragraph (a) (requirement to attend personally);
(b)sub-paragraph (c) (requirement to sign register).
(4) In Article 26 of the 1976 Order (informant's position following an inquest), paragraph (a) (person not liable to attend registrar upon a notice issued by registrar) shall cease to have effect.
11—(1) After Article 40 of the 1976 Order (short birth certificate) there shall be inserted the following Article—
40A The Department may make regulations—
(a)providing as respects any entry in a register of deaths made after the commencement of section 11 of the Civil Registration Act (Northern Ireland) 2011, for the issue by the Registrar General or any registrar of a certificate of such of the items comprising that entry (other than items relating to the cause of death) as may be prescribed;
(b)providing for the form of any such certificate;
(c)providing for the particulars to be furnished by an applicant for such a certificate;
(d)providing for the manner in which any such certificate is to be compiled; and
(e)requiring the payment, by the applicant for the certificate, of the prescribed fee.”.
(2) In Article 34(5) of the 1976 Order (which contains provision that judicial notice shall be taken of any certificate under Article 40 of that Order), after “40” there shall be inserted “ or 40A ”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: