- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
9. (1) Article 21 of the 1976 Order (registration of deaths) shall be amended in accordance with subsections (2) to (5).
(2) In paragraph (1) (registration by registrar for district where person died or was ordinarily resident), for the words from “by the registrar for the district” to the words “in a register maintained by him for the purpose” there shall be substituted the words “in a register by any registrar”.
(3) In paragraphs (2) and (3) (cases where body found but no information as to place of death), for the words “in the district” there shall be substituted the words “by the registrar for the district”.
(4) In paragraph (5) (duty to give information and to sign register)—
(a)for the words “to the registrar” there shall be substituted the words “to any registrar”;
(b)for the words “to sign the register in the presence of the registrar” there shall be substituted the words “of such other particulars as may be prescribed, in the prescribed manner”.
(5) In paragraph (6) (effect of information being given and register signed), for the words “and signs the register” there shall be substituted the words “in the prescribed manner”.
(6) In Article 2(2) of the 1976 Order (interpretation), after the definition of “birth” there shall be inserted the following definition—
““death” means death in Northern Ireland;”.
10. (1) In Article 23 of the 1976 Order (issue of notice for information concerning deaths), paragraph (1) shall be amended in accordance with subsections (2) and (3).
(2) In sub-paragraph (b) (requirement to give certain information), after the word “give” there shall be inserted the words “in the prescribed manner within such time as may be specified in the notice”.
(3) The following provisions shall cease to have effect—
(a)sub-paragraph (a) (requirement to attend personally);
(b)sub-paragraph (c) (requirement to sign register).
(4) In Article 26 of the 1976 Order (informant’s position following an inquest), paragraph (a) (person not liable to attend registrar upon a notice issued by registrar) shall cease to have effect.
11. (1) After Article 40 of the 1976 Order (short birth certificate) there shall be inserted the following Article—
40A. The Department may make regulations—
(a)providing as respects any entry in a register of deaths made after the commencement of section 11 of the Civil Registration Act (Northern Ireland) 2011, for the issue by the Registrar General or any registrar of a certificate of such of the items comprising that entry (other than items relating to the cause of death) as may be prescribed;
(b)providing for the form of any such certificate;
(c)providing for the particulars to be furnished by an applicant for such a certificate;
(d)providing for the manner in which any such certificate is to be compiled; and
(e)requiring the payment, by the applicant for the certificate, of the prescribed fee.”.
(2) In Article 34(5) of the 1976 Order (which contains provision that judicial notice shall be taken of any certificate under Article 40 of that Order), after “40” there shall be inserted “or 40A”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: