- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
The term provision is used to describe a definable element in a piece of legislation that has legislative effect – such as a Part, Chapter or section. A version of a provision is prospective either:
Commencement Orders listed in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ box as not yet applied may bring this prospective version into force.
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Sunbeds Act (Northern Ireland) 2011. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
1 (1) An operator of sunbed premises who—
(a)allows a person who is under 18 to use a sunbed on those premises, or
(b)allows a person who is under 18 to be present (except in the course of providing services to the operator for the purposes of the business of the sunbed premises) in a restricted zone on those premises,
commits an offence.
(2) In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1), it is a defence for the operator to prove that the operator (or an employee or agent of the operator) took all reasonable precautions and exercised all due diligence to avoid the commission of such an offence.
(3) Without prejudice to any other means of proving the matters specified in subsection (2), for the purposes of subsection (2) the operator (or an employee or agent of the operator) is to be treated as having taken all reasonable precautions and exercised all due diligence to avoid the commission of such an offence if—
(a)the operator (or an employee or agent of the operator) was shown any of the documents mentioned in subsection (4); and
(b)that document would have convinced a reasonable person.
(4) The documents referred to in subsection (3)(a) are any document appearing to be—
(b)a European Union photocard driving licence; or
(c)such other document (or description of document) as may be prescribed.
(5) Subsections (6) and (7) have effect for determining what is for the purposes of subsection (1)(b) a restricted zone.
(6) If a sunbed on the sunbed premises is in a wholly or partly enclosed space that is reserved for users of that sunbed, every part of that space is a restricted zone.
(7) If a sunbed is in a room on the sunbed premises but not in a space falling within subsection (6), every part of that room is a restricted zone.
(8) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: