- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
11 (1) Subject to subsection (3), the Panel shall make the determinations referred to in section 2(1) only once in respect of each Assembly.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Panel shall not make the determinations referred to in section 2(1) in respect of an Assembly if the date of the poll for the election of that Assembly—
(a)was directed under section 32(4) of the 1998 Act; and
(b)occurs within one year of the date of the poll for the election of the immediately preceding Assembly.
(3) If at any time the Panel is of the opinion that it is reasonable and appropriate—
(a)for a determination relating to pensions to be made, the Panel may make such a determination;
(b)that due to exceptional circumstances the restriction in subsection (1) or (2) should not apply, the Panel may make determinations—
(i)more than once in respect of each Assembly,
(ii)in respect of such an Assembly as is described in subsection (2),
as the case may be.
(4) Subject to subsection (6), the Panel shall, so far as reasonably practicable, make the determinations referred to in section 2(1) before the date of the poll for the election of the Assembly in respect of which the determination is made.
(5) The Panel shall, as soon as reasonably practicable after its establishment, make the determinations referred to in section 2(1) in respect of the Assembly existing at that time.
(6) Any determination made under section 2(1) shall have the effect (whether or not expressly so provided) of revoking any determination or provision—
(a)made under section 47 or 48 of the 1998 Act before the coming into operation of this Part; and
(b)relating to the same subject-matter as the determination made under section 2(1).
(7) Every determination made by the Panel shall state the date from which it is to have effect (which may be a date before the date of the determination) and shall continue in effect until revoked by a subsequent determination relating to the same subject-matter.
(8) For the purposes of subsection (3)(b), the occurrence of an election for which the poll is directed under section 32(4) of the 1998 Act does not in itself give rise to exceptional circumstances.
(9) If the Panel forms such an opinion as is referred to in subsection (3), it shall—
(a)state in writing its reasons for having done so, and
(b)communicate that statement to the Commission,
at the same time as it communicates to the Commission the determination to which the statement relates.
(10) The Commission shall publish any statement made under subsection (9) as if it were a determination.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: