- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
40. (1) Nothing may be done under an order under section 32, 34, 36 or 37 with respect to an animal or an order under section 39 unless—
(a)the period for giving notice of appeal against the order has expired,
(b)the period for giving notice of appeal against the conviction on which the order was made has expired, and
(c)if the order or conviction is the subject of an appeal, the appeal has been determined or withdrawn.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an order under section 36(1) if the order is the subject of a direction under subsection (5) of that section.
(3) Where the effect of an order is suspended under subsection (1)—
(a)no requirement imposed or directions given in connection with the order shall have effect, but
(b)the court may give directions about how any animal to which the order applies is to be dealt with during the suspension.
(4) Directions under subsection (3)(b) may, in particular—
(a)authorise the animal to be taken into possession;
(b)authorise the removal of the animal to a place of safety;
(c)authorise the animal to be cared for either on the premises where it was being kept when it was taken into possession or at some other place;
(d)appoint a person to carry out, or arrange for the carrying out, of the directions;
(e)require any person who has possession of the animal to deliver it up for the purposes of the directions;
(f)confer additional powers (including power to enter premises where the animal is being kept) for the purpose of, or in connection with, the carrying out of the directions;
(g)provide for the recovery of any expenses in relation to removal or care of the animal which are incurred in carrying out the directions.
(5) Any expenses a person is directed to pay under subsection (4)(g) shall be recoverable summarily as a civil debt.
(6) Where the effect of an order under section 32 is suspended under subsection (1) the person to whom the order relates may not sell or part with any animal to which the order applies.
(7) Failure to comply with subsection (6) is an offence.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: