- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
The term provision is used to describe a definable element in a piece of legislation that has legislative effect – such as a Part, Chapter or section. A version of a provision is prospective either:
Commencement Orders listed in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ box as not yet applied may bring this prospective version into force.
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 2011. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Act. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Act you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
55 (1) No regulations (except for regulations made under section 49(5)) shall be made under this Act unless a draft of the regulations has been laid before, and approved by resolution of, the Assembly.
(2) Any regulations made by the Department under section 49(5) shall be subject to negative resolution.
(3) Any order or regulations made by the Department under this Act may contain such supplementary, consequential, transitional or saving provisions as the Department considers necessary or expedient.
56 (1) In this Act—
“animal” has the meaning given by section 1(1);
“council” means a district council;
“the Department” means the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development;
“premises” includes any place and, in particular, includes—
any vehicle, vessel, aircraft or hovercraft;
any tent or movable structure;
“protected animal” has the meaning given by section 2;
“statutory provision” has the meaning given by section 1(f) of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 (c. 33);
“suffering” means physical or mental suffering;
“veterinary surgeon” means a person who is for the time being registered in the register of veterinary surgeons.
(2) In this Act, references to the occupier of premises, in relation to any vehicle, vessel, aircraft or hovercraft, are to the person who appears to be in charge of the vehicle, vessel, aircraft or hovercraft, and “unoccupied” shall be construed accordingly.
(3) In this Act, references to a part of premises which is used as a private dwelling include any yard, garden, garage or outhouse which is used for purposes in connection with it.
(4) In this Act, references to responsibility, in relation to an animal, are to be read in accordance with section 3.
(5) In this Act, references to the needs of an animal are to be read in accordance with section 9(2).
(6) In this Act, references to a “relevant post-conviction power” are to a power conferred by—
(a)section 32, 33, 34, 36, 39 or 41; or
(b)Article 10(2) of the Dangerous Wild Animals (Northern Ireland) Order 2004 (NI 16) (power to cancel licence under Order and disqualify from carrying on licensable activity).
57 (1) The statutory provisions set out in Schedule 4 have effect subject to the minor and consequential amendments specified in that Schedule.
(2) The statutory provisions set out in Schedule 5 are repealed to the extent specified in that Schedule.
58 (1) Without prejudice to section 55(3), the Department may by order subject to negative resolution make such transitional provision or savings as are considered necessary or expedient in connection with the coming into operation of any provision of this Act.
(2) Section 33(9) shall apply in relation to a disqualification imposed by an order under section 27 of the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 1972 (c. 7) (power to disqualify persons convicted of cruelty to animals) as it applies in relation to a disqualification imposed by an order under section 33(1).
(3) In relation to a person convicted of an offence under section 33(9) by virtue of breaching a disqualification imposed by an order under section 27 of the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 1972, section 34(2) shall have effect with the substitution for the words from “owning” to “keeps” of “having custody of an animal in breach of disqualification under section 27 of the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 1972, the court by or before which that person is convicted may order that all animals of which that person has custody”.
(4) Section 42 shall apply in relation to a person who is disqualified by virtue of an order under section 27 of the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 1972 as it applies in relation to a person who is disqualified by virtue of an order under section 33 or 41.
(5) In its application by virtue of subsection (4), section 42(2)(c) shall have effect with the omission of the words “section 33(6), 41(3) or”.
59 This Act, except section 56, this section and section 60, shall come into operation on such day or days as the Department may by order appoint.
60 This Act may be cited as the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 2011.
The Whole Act you have selected contains over 200 provisions and might take some time to download. You may also experience some issues with your browser, such as an alert box that a script is taking a long time to run.
Would you like to continue?
The Whole Act you have selected contains over 200 provisions and might take some time to download.
Would you like to continue?
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: