- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
3.—(1) In each financial year a council shall cause to be submitted to it estimates of the income and expenditure of the council during the next financial year.
(2) A council, before the prescribed date in each year—
(a)shall consider the estimates for the next financial year;
(b)may revise the estimates in such manner as the council thinks fit;
(c)shall approve the estimates, subject to any revision under paragraph (b);
(d)shall authorise the expenditure included in the estimates; and
(e)shall fix for the next financial year the amount estimated to be required to be raised by means of rates made by the council.
(3) No expenditure shall be incurred by or on behalf of a council unless—
(a)previously authorised in accordance with the estimates approved by the council; or
(b)otherwise previously authorised by the council; or
(c)if not so authorised, necessarily incurred in circumstances of emergency;
but any expenditure under paragraph (c) shall, as soon as reasonably practicable, be reported to the council with a view to being approved by the council.
(4) A council may make standing orders for the purpose of giving effect to this section so long as they are not inconsistent with any statutory provision.
4.—(1) The chief financial officer of a council shall submit to the council a report on the robustness of the estimates.
(2) A council shall have regard to that report when considering the estimates under section 3(2)(a).
(3) In this section “the estimates” means the estimates submitted to the council under section 3(1).
5. During each financial year a council shall keep its financial position under review.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: