- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
The term provision is used to describe a definable element in a piece of legislation that has legislative effect – such as a Part, Chapter or section. A version of a provision is prospective either:
Commencement Orders listed in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ box as not yet applied may bring this prospective version into force.
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Welfare Reform Act (Northern Ireland) 2010. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Act. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Act you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
9—(1) This section applies if, whether as a result of—
(a)provision made by any regulations under Article 3A(4)(c) or (8) of the Jobseekers Order (as inserted by section 4), or
(b)provision made by or under any other statutory provision, or otherwise,
the Department considers that it is no longer appropriate for any category of person to be prescribed under section 123(1)(e) of the Contributions and Benefits Act (conditions for income support).
(2) The Department may by order provide for section 123 of the Contributions and Benefits Act (which establishes the entitlement to income support) to cease to have effect.
(3) If an order is made under subsection (2)—
(a)the amendments made by Schedule 2, and
(b)the repeals in Part 1 of Schedule 4,
have effect in accordance with provision made by the order.
(4) The Department may by order make such transitional or consequential provision or savings as the Department considers necessary or expedient for the purposes of or in connection with the abolition of income support (including provision of the kind mentioned in section 7(2)).
(5) The consequential provision that may be made by an order under subsection (4) includes, in particular, provision amending, repealing or revoking any statutory provision.
(6) Paragraphs (3) to (6) of Article 74 of the 1998 Order (regulations and orders) apply in relation to any power to make an order under this section as they apply to any power to make orders under that Order.
(7) An order under subsection (2) shall be laid before the Assembly after being made and shall take effect on such date as may be specified in the order, but shall (without prejudice to the validity of anything done thereunder or to the making of a new order) cease to have effect upon the expiration of a period of six months from that date unless at some time before the expiration of that period the order has been approved by a resolution of the Assembly.
(8) An order under subsection (4) is (unless it has been subject to the confirmatory procedure outlined in subsection (7)) subject to negative resolution.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: