Community care grants relating to specified goods or servicesN.I.
15—(1) The Contributions and Benefits Act is amended as follows.
(2) In section 134 (payments out of social fund), after subsection (2) insert—
“(2A) If or to the extent that directions issued under subsection (2) of section 136 by virtue of subsection (4)(ca) of that section require the award of a community care grant to be expressed as the award of a payment for goods or services specified in the award, the power to make a payment out of the social fund under subsection (1)(b) shall be exercised by making a payment to a third party specified in the award, with a view to the third party providing, or arranging for the provision of, the specified goods or services for the applicant.”.
(3) In subsection (3) of that section, for “The power” substitute “ If or to the extent that subsection (2A) does not apply, the power ”
(4) In section 135 (awards by social fund officers), in subsection (1), after “how much it is to be” insert “ or, where section 134(2A) applies, what goods or services are to be specified ”.
(5) For subsection (5) of that section substitute—
“(5) Payment of an award shall be made to the applicant unless—
(a)section 134(2A) applies, or
(b)the appropriate officer determines otherwise.”.
(6) In section 136 (principles of determination), in subsection (4), after paragraph (c) insert—
“(ca)that, except in circumstances specified in the direction, an appropriate officer shall express an award of a community care grant as the award of a payment for goods or services that are—
(i)determined by the appropriate officer in accordance with the direction,
(ii)specified in the award, and
(iii)to be provided by, or under arrangements made by, a specified person with whom arrangements have been made by the Department.”.
(7) After that subsection insert—
“(4A) The reference in subsection (1) to the amount or value to be awarded is, in a case where directions under subsection (4)(ca) apply, to be read as a reference to the goods or services to be specified in the award.”.