- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
4—(1) Subject to subsection (2), the Department—
(a)may reconsider a determination that a payment should not be made under this Act, on the ground that there has been a material change of circumstances since the determination was made; and
(b)may reconsider a determination either that a payment should or that a payment should not be made under this Act, on the ground that the determination was made in ignorance of, or was based on a mistake as to, a material fact.
(2) Regulations must prescribe the manner in which and the period within which—
(a)an application may be made to the Department for reconsideration of a determination, or
(b)the Department may institute such a reconsideration without an application.
(3) Section 3(4) applies in relation to any reconsideration of a determination under this section as it applies in relation to the determination of a claim.
(4) Subsection (5) applies if—
(a)whether fraudulently or otherwise, any person misrepresents or fails to disclose any material fact, and
(b)in consequence of the misrepresentation or failure, a payment is made under this Act.
(5) The person to whom the payment was made is liable to repay the amount of that payment to the Department unless that person can show that the misrepresentation or failure occurred without that person's connivance or consent.
(6) Except as provided by subsection (5), no payment under this Act is recoverable by virtue of a reconsideration of a determination under this section.
(7) Any sums repaid to the Department by virtue of subsection (5) are to be paid into the Consolidated Fund.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: