Category A and B retirement pensions: single contribution conditionN.I.
1 (1) Schedule 3 to the Contributions and Benefits Act (contribution conditions) is amended as follows.
(2) In paragraph 5 (contribution conditions for, among other things, Category A or B retirement pension) in sub-paragraph (1) after “retirement pension” insert “ (other than one in relation to which paragraph 5A applies) ”.
(3) After paragraph 5 insert—
“5A (1) This paragraph applies to—
(a)a Category A retirement pension in a case where the contributor concerned attains pensionable age on or after 6th April 2010;
(b)a Category B retirement pension payable by virtue of section 48A above in a case where the contributor concerned attains pensionable age on or after that date;
(c)a Category B retirement pension payable by virtue of section 48B above in a case where the contributor concerned dies on or after that date without having attained pensionable age before that date.
(2) The contribution condition for a Category A or Category B retirement pension in relation to which this paragraph applies is that—
(a)the contributor concerned must, in respect of each of not less than 30 years of his working life, have paid or been credited with contributions of a relevant class or been credited (in the case of 1987–88 or any subsequent year) with earnings; and
(b)in the case of each of those years, the earnings factor derived as mentioned in sub-paragraph (3) below must be not less than the qualifying earnings factor for that year.
(3) For the purposes of paragraph (b) of sub-paragraph (2) above, the earnings factor—
(a)in the case of 1987–88 or any subsequent year, is that which is derived from—
(i)so much of the contributor's earnings as did not exceed the upper earnings limit and upon which such of the contributions mentioned in paragraph (a) of that sub-paragraph as are primary Class 1 contributions were paid or treated as paid or earnings credited; and
(ii)any Class 2 or Class 3 contributions for the year; or
(b)in the case of any earlier year, is that which is derived from the contributions mentioned in paragraph (a) of that sub-paragraph.
(4) Regulations may modify sub-paragraphs (2) and (3) above for the purposes of their application in a case where—
(a)the contributor concerned has paid, or been credited with, contributions, or
(b)contributions have been deemed to be, or treated as, paid by or credited to him,
under the National Insurance Act (Northern Ireland) 1946 or the National Insurance Act (Northern Ireland) 1966.”.
(4) Part 1 of Schedule 1 contains consequential amendments.