- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
43.—(1) In Article 10 of the 1991 Order (HSS trusts) for paragraphs (1) and (2) there shall be substituted—
“(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Department may by order establish bodies, to be known as Health and Social Services trusts (in this Order referred to as HSS trusts)—
(a)to provide goods and services for the purposes of the health and personal social services; or
(b)to exercise, on behalf of Health and Social Services Boards, such functions as are so exercisable by virtue of authorisations for the time being in operation under Article 3(1) of the Health and Personal Social Services (Northern Ireland) Order 1994.
(2) Before making an order under paragraph (1), the Department shall consult—
(a)such Health and Social Services Councils; and
(b)such other persons and bodies,
as the Department considers appropriate.”.
(2) In Article 10 of the 1991 Order (HSS trusts) for paragraph (5) there shall be substituted—
“(5) The functions which may be specified in an order under paragraph (1) include a duty to provide goods or services so specified at or from a hospital or other establishment or facility so specified.”.
(3) In Article 2(2) of the 1991 Order (interpretation) after the definition of “the principal Order” there shall be inserted—
““provide” includes manage;”.
(4) Any order under Article 10(1) of that Order—
(a)is to be treated as always having had effect with the omission of any obligation for the HSS trust to which the order relates to own land specified in the order; and
(b)so far as any functions specified in it could have been specified under that provision as amended by this Act, is to be treated as having been made under that provision as so amended.
(5) Any restriction preventing the acquisition of any land by any HSS trust (including an HSS trust dissolved before the coming into operation of this section) merely because the land did not comprise a hospital or other establishment or facility previously managed or provided by a relevant body (within the meaning of Article 10(3) of the 1991 Order) is to be treated as never having had effect.
(6) An order under section 58 may—
(a)provide for any provision made by it for the purposes of, in consequence of or for giving full effect to this section to be treated as having had effect from a time before the coming into operation of this section;
(b)make such provision about an HSS trust dissolved before the coming into operation of this section.
(7) In Article 16(1) of the 1991 Order (trust funds and trustees for HSS trusts) for “which is owned and managed” there shall be substituted “at or from which services are provided”.
(8) In paragraph 3(2) of Schedule 3 to that Order (establishment orders), for “assume responsibility for the ownership and management of” there shall be substituted “provide services at”.
(9) In paragraph 16(c) of that Schedule (general powers of HSS trusts) for “which is owned and managed” there shall be substituted “at or from which services are provided”.
(10) The 1991 Order is to be treated as always having had effect subject to the amendments made by this section.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: