- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
36.—(1) For the purposes of sections 34 and 35 a direction is given by beneficiaries if—
(a)a single direction is jointly given by all of them; or
(b)(subject to subsection (2)) a direction is given by each of them (whether solely or jointly with one or more, but not all, of the others),
and none of them by writing withdraws the direction given by him before it has been complied with.
(2) Where more than one direction is given each must specify for appointment or retirement the same person or persons.
(3) Subsection (7) of section 35 of the Trustee Act (Northern Ireland) 1958 (c. 23) (powers of trustees appointed under that section) applies to a trustee appointed under section 34 or 35 as if he were appointed under that section.
(4) Sections 34 and 35 do not apply in relation to a trust created by a disposition in so far as provision that they do not apply is made by the disposition.
(5) Sections 34 and 35 do not apply in relation to a trust created before the commencement of those sections by a disposition in so far as provision to the effect that they do not apply is made by a deed executed—
(a)in a case in which the trust was created by one person and he is of full capacity, by that person; or
(b)in a case in which the trust was created by more than one person, by such of the persons who created the trust as are alive and of full capacity.
(6) A deed executed for the purposes of subsection (5) is irrevocable.
(7) Where a deed is executed for the purposes of subsection (5)—
(a)it does not affect anything done before its execution to comply with a direction under section 34 or 35; but
(b)a direction under section 34 or 35 which has been given but not complied with before its execution shall cease to have effect.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: