48Giving notification etc. under this PartE+W

(1)This section applies where a provision of this Part requires or authorises (in whatever terms) a relevant person to—

(a)notify a person of something, or

(b)give a document to a person (including a notice or a copy of a document).

(2)The notification or document may be given to the person in question—

(a)by delivering it to the person,

(b)by sending it by post to the person's proper address,

(c)by leaving it at the person's proper address, or

(d)if the conditions in subsection (4) are met, by sending it electronically.

(3)The notification or document may be given to a body corporate by being given to the secretary or clerk of that body.

(4)A relevant person may send a notification or document to a person electronically only if the following requirements are met—

(a)the person to whom the notification or document is to be given must have—

(i)indicated to the relevant person a willingness to receive the notification or document electronically, and

(ii)provided the relevant person with an address suitable for that purpose, and

(b)the relevant person must send the notification or document to that address.

(5)For the purposes of this section and section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 (references to service by post) in its application to this section, the proper address of a person is—

(a)in the case of a body corporate, the address of the registered or principal office of the body;

(b)in any other case, the last known address of the person.

(6)A notification or document given to a person by leaving it at the person's proper address is to be treated for the purposes of this Part as having been given at the time at which it was left at that address.

(7)Each of the following is a “relevant person” for the purposes of this section—

(a)a licensing authority;

(b)a local housing authority exercising functions under this Part other than as a licensing authority;

(c)a person who, by virtue of a written authorisation, exercises functions under this Part on behalf of a licensing authority or a local housing authority of the kind mentioned in paragraph (b).